Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What I learned from my daughter

. . . nothing exists unless it is written. . . To end, let me quote a most endearing thought by Natalie Goldberg, author of "Writing Down the Bones": "Writers live twice. They go along with their regular life . . . But there's another part of them that they have been training. The one that lives everything a second time." Last February 13, my daughter, Calille (named after Kahlil Gibran), went on her first field trip to Leisure Coast, Dagupan. I took a leave from work; I psyched myself to enjoy the day; I thought it would just be a typical family day. I was dead wrong--- Because I asked myself one question at the end of the day--- what if, just what if, I actually went on more field trips when I was younger--- would I have become a different person? I consider myself fairly brave with facing challenges (like jumping off a rope set high up 30 feet beyond the ground -- high ropes course), upfront with people and tasks (I teach teenagers-- so THAT alone qualifies me) and frank (I'm happily surviving seven years of marriage aint I? And heck, I get to blog!). So, here's something out of the ordinary from my ordinary world-- First, my daughter rode on a bus by herself with her class (8 kids, Nursery class).-- not that that was new; second and more climactic was that my daughter, without hesitation took the slides on and on and on and on and on. Okay, sigh, so I couldn't. I wonder what stopped me. Up to now I'm saying to myself-- I've given birth, I can do anything!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I need to repeat this mantra the next time I face a water slide. . . Mental note: Must get to Leisure Coast and face my demons!

No comments: